My computer is still broken, but Swift Jim kindly left me his laptop to play with today while he is at work. Bless him xxoo
So the past week has been CrAzY!!
Thursay13th : Had my regular check up with the OB to make sure all things pregnancy were going smoothly. Not so! Turns out that that the big bulge at the top of my abdomin for the past month has infact been baby's head. So, Itty Bitty is presenting breech.
As our local hospital doesn't deliver known breech babies I was given two options.
1. An ECV, trying to turn the baby. Best performed between 34-36 weeks. I was 37w last Thursday. The risks involved are premature labour, baby's heart rate dropping due to pinched umbilical cord and the placenta could come detached from the uterus wall. Chances of an emergancy caesarean very high. Success rate during the ideal time of 34-36w is 50-60%. Less if performed after that.
2. Elective Caesarean performed at 39 weeks.
The doctor gave us the weekend to think about it....
Friday 14th: Was in a bit of a daze, trying to figure out the best option for our baby, who has already been through enough this pregancy. However was looking forward to catching up with 2 friends for dinner in the city that night. Only to be stood up by both friends.
Saturday 15th: Dan & I had come to the conclusion that an elective c-section was going to be the safest & less stressful option for both baby & I. We were feeling ok with it.
Decided to clean the car out put the baby capsule in the car. Only to discover that the capsule didn't fit in our car. So dug out the old convertable car seat that Ella & Connor used. It was covered in mould!!! ICK!! We went to Target & bought a brand new seat. Installed it. Phew....
Sunday 16th: Had some friends over for lunch. It was a nice distraction....
Monday 17th : The appointment with the doctor to book the c-section we had decided on had arrived. I had been looking forward to it ever since we had made our decision.
The doctor we saw on monday was a different Doctor. I have seen a different doctor every visit. Quite frustrating but to be expected in the public system. The doctor did the regular checks & made sure baby was still in a breech position then went and got the appointment book. After flicking through several times she declared that there were infact NO appointments left. NONE! She made a quick call to double check with someone. So what did she do? She booked me in for the 7th of September. That's four days PAST my due date. Her instruction from there was that if I went into labour prior to that date, to go straight to the hospital with my first contraction & they would rush me in for an emergancy caesarean. Meanwhile if someone else cancelled, she would slot me in earlier. Riiiight.... Her parting words, "There is no need to worry"!!
I left the hospital a mess. So many questions unanswered, so many what if's, and why wasn't MY baby important enough to be squeezed in somewhere? For the remainder of the day I cried a lot.
In the afternoon, I decided to call a few other hospitals in Brisbane to see if they could fit me in. Well, apparently the parperwork to transfer me wold take too long & I was better off staying put. So then, I decided to call the hospital and speak to someone different than the Doctor I had seen that morning. The best advice the lady I spoke with could give me was to call every few days to see if a spot had become available. *sigh*
Tuesday 18th: Still feeling quite worried & scared, I stayed at home all day & avoided interacting with people. Including my own kids.... :(
Wednesday 19th: Tried calling the antinatal clinic before heading out in the morning. No answer. Went and had coffee with my Bride friend for her birthday and when I got home at lunch time I promptly rang the hospital again. Was told to call back in half hour as the doctors were on lunch. It was the longest half hour ever!! But I called back & was put through to the head midwife... Our conversation follows;
Me: Hi My name is Becky.... I am booked in on the 7th September for a caesarean, however my actual due date is the 4th. They couldn't fit me in any earlier. I am just wondering if any sooner appointments have become available?
Her: What? Say that again!!
[so I did]
Her: That's ridiculous!! I cant believe they did that! Please hold on a moment.....
[midwife is discussing how terrible it is in the background to another person, then it went quiet for a few minutes]
Her: Becky, I need to discuss this further, can I call you back?
Me: of course.
So an hour an a half passed & it was time to pick Connor up from school, so I made sure I had my mobile phone with me. I was starting to get my hopes up that maybe she would be able to manage a miracle for me.....
On our way home the phone rang! I promptly pulled over & answered it.
Her: Becky, I have managed to do some shuffling of the appointment book, how does the 27th August sound?
Me: Are you SERIOUS?!!
Her: [laughing] yes! Does that suit you better?
Me: Definately!!! If I was in the same room as you I would HUG you!!!
Her: [still laughing] I am glad that you rang!! I fear that you would have been lost in the system if you hadn't called.
Me: So am I!! I was afraid that would happen.
Her: We will see you monday to discuss all the details, but it will most likely be in the afternoon.
Me: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!
I was so excited!! And all the weight on my shoulders was suddenly lifted!!
Thursday 20th (today): It is only ONE week until I have my baby!!!! YAY!!!!! I am thanking God today for hearing me!
What a whirlwind of emotions this week.
If you made it this far reading, well done & thank you!! Sorry for such a LONG post....
Feels good to get it all out though!