Tuesday, April 7, 2009

School Sports...

So many mile stones for young Chestnut Cheeks this year. The start of school brings with it lots of "firsts". First school photo, first show & tell, first uniform.... and first school sports competition!!
Today was cross country! The preppies had to run around 2 ovals. A total of 500m (i think). Thats a long way for a [not quite] 5 year old to run!
He has been very excited about the race leading up to it. He even wanted to wear his "fast running joggers". I'm not sure how they are any different to his normal school shoes, but anyhow....
So the race arrived. He was lined up with the rest of the boys from prep & the whistle blew. He was doing great as he ran past me as I cheered him on...
Then he headed up the hill towards the little oval... thats when he started getting tired. You see Chestnut Cheeks inherited many of my genes, MANY of them. One of which is the *bad at sports* one. So at the top of the hill he started slowing down to a walk. Thats ok, I could relate quite well to how he must have been feeling. A few of the older grade 6 & 7 boys were running beside him for encouragement (this made me a bit teary, what nice boys). Then at about 1/2 way round the top oval he looked like he was ready to give up. So fighting back tears I ran over to him & held his hand & we ran together.
Now imagine this..... A largely overweight woman, who is also 18w pregnant running in a prep race!! LOL I was wearing thongs (flip flops), and jeans that are too big so they kept falling down. Quite literally!!
CC seemed pretty happy that I joined him & of course Almond Eyes tagged behind too.
We got to the end of the race, both of us relieved that it was finished :) (500m is a long way for Mummy to run too)...
I was very proud of him.....
But I gotta tell ya, so many aweful memories from school sports carnivals came flooding back to me today as I watched my little boy..... I hope he has a more pleasant experience with sports than I did!

4 comments:

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Harpo's 400m cross country is this week too, and I hadn't thought about how he'll go. Like you, I have the "bad at sports" gene - I don't know how he'll go! Like you, I'm now hoping that he won't go through any of those awful moments that us "bad at sports" kids do. If he's good at sports, I'm going to teach him how to encourage kids who aren't.

I WON'T raise an obnoxious jock. They can be so so mean.

I'll wear comfy shoes and good pants in case he needs help - thanks for the tip!

Hippomanic Jen said...

Good on you, Μummy! Loose duds and all.

Dee said...

what a great mum you are! having a go and helping your little man. My prep girl has her xcountry coming up too.. I think she'll make it, running was the only thing i was half good at as a kid, but even that went by the wayside and i was a sport avoider most of school

Lindethiel said...

Well done love! And well done to Chestnut Cheeks as well!