Thursday, June 4, 2009

Swine Flu!

So here in Australia Swine Flu is apparently spreading like wildflowers!! Especially in Victoria! Now this has me worried for a few reasons. 1. I have some good friends who live down there, I would hate for them to catch it! 2. If it comes too close to CC's school, I will have to keep him home for at least 7 days.... And number 3. Next week my best friend & I are travelling to Melbourne City to celebrate 25 years of friendship!!

Now we have been friends for most of our lives (given that we are both only [almost] 28 years old!) We went to kindergarten together & have remained friends ever since. We are like sisters! Infact she even calls my parents, Mum & dad! So we have been really looking forward to having a weekend away in Melbourne. We plan to shop, dine & get pampered!! OOh I cant wait..... But hang on!!! Swine Flu!! Oh yeah.... How will I prevent myself from catching this? I refuse to wear a daggy face mask!! I think I will just use hand sanitizer a lot!! Then of course there is the weeks quarentine I have to endure upon my return! I am sure the trip will be worth it... so long as we don't actually catch Swine Flu!! GAH.....

4 comments:

Femina said...

Nah... (cough cough) you'll be right. We're all fine down here (sniffle, sneeze). No, really (cough), there's nothing to worry about (sneeze)...

Givinya De Elba said...

Heh, heh! I've been reading medical (not media) information about swine flu, and it seems that a lot of it's all hysteria. Don't worry about a face mask - they might be good for infected people to wear to stop the spread, but healthy people don't need to worry. The flu itself is a mild flu, but for some reason, public/government/media panic is the fashion!

Nothing they say is actually WRONG, it's spreadable, you get sick, some people die, etc., but It seems to me that these are all true of the regular flu or the common cold. If swine flu needs all the media exposure, perhaps they should freak people out about the ordinary flu more, just to be consistent?

I'll keep reading, there's a chance that things will change and it will mutate and become more dangerous, and I'm not a doctor, but I think you'll have a GREAT time in Melbourne and you won't get sick.

People cleverer than I am have written this. It's from the NHS (dept of health in the UK.)

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I liked the Trevor cartoon in the Sunday Mail today. Someone was talking about how malaria kills 5 million people a year, and Trevor was yawning. But then the guy added that 53 people have died from Swine Flu, and Trevor's yelling, "It's a pandemic! A pandemic!"

The media sure love that word. "Pandemic" and "Rort", along with "Battler". We should come up with a media drinking game...

Femina said...

Media drinking game is a great idea, if it can include the phrases "a story no parent can afford to miss" and "find out how the banks are taking YOUR money"...